Stephanie Driscoll's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Jan 24, 2012

“The Marriage Plot” by Jeffrey Eugenides was a novel that I’ve put off reading for a while, mostly because “Middlesex” exhausted me, and I had totally forgotten that he wrote “The Virgin Suicides.” But this book, this book was truly amazing. In true Eugenides fashion, this book was loaded, like the kind of loaded that if you were to make the comment that this would be one of the three books you would bring with you on a desert island, it would be a good choice. There is so much love of the literary world in here, that all writers, or readers must try out this book, just to remember or to see at first glance what passion looks like. When my mom asked me if she should read the book, I told her that she might want to try something different, that this one might be too literary, and therefore not as enjoyable for her…and yes I know what a pompous ass thing that is to say….but I think I have to stand by that comment. While I love this book, I don’t know how much I can judge its accessibility to people who don’t love books. The story is good, and the characters are endearing and you care what happens, and there’s just enough sex and turmoil and unrequited romance and bad decisions in here to snag anyone, but I don’t know if it can keep the interest of the weary reader. So…don’t get confused, but I guess I’ll leave this review saying that if you love this book, you are going to really, really, love this book. And if you don’t like it, then it really wasn’t your thing in the first place. But in the end, it was brilliantly written, and a puzzle that fit together perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.