RJ's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Quotes RJ Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I started inventing things, and then I couldn't stop, like beavers, which I know about. People think they cut down trees so they can build dams, but in reality it's because their teeth never stop growing, and if they didn't constantly file them down by cutting through all of those trees, their teeth would start to grow into their own faces, which would kill them. That's how my brain was.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She laughed enough to migrate an entire flock of birds. That was how she said yes”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I took the world into me, rearranged it, and sent it back out as a question: "Do you like me?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She wants to know if I love her, that's all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I knew that our time together was almost over, I asked her if she liked sports, she asked me if I liked chess, I asked her if she liked fallen trees, she went home with her father, the center of me followed her, but I was left with the shell of me, I needed to see her again, I couldn't explain my need to myself, and that's why it was such a beautiful need, there's nothing wrong with not understanding yourself.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Songs are as sad as the listener.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman could report if the water level of the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you could know if New York is in heavy boots.”
tags: love

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are. And the more you wage war.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Why do beautiful songs make you sad?' 'Because they aren't true.' 'Never?' 'Nothing is beautiful and true.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The secret was a hole in the middle of me that every happy thing fell into.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I never confused what I had with what I was.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I felt suddenly shy. I was not used to shy. I was used to shame. Shyness is when you turn your head away from something you want. Shame is when you turn your head away from something you do not want.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Why didn't he say goodbye?
I gave myself a bruise.
Why didn't he say 'I love you'?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I wanted to touch him, to tell him that even if everyone left everyone, I would never leave him, he talked and talked, his words fell through him, trying to find the floor to his sadness.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I did not need to know if he could love me.
I needed to know if he could need me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“We had everything to say to each other, but no ways to say it”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I thought, it's a shame that we have to live, but it's a tragedy that we get to live only one life, because if I'd had two lives, I would have spent one of them with her.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I missed you even when I was with you. That’s been my problem. I miss what I already have, and I surround myself with things that are missing.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I wanted to tell her everything, maybe if I'd been able to, we could have lived differently, maybe I'd be there with you now instead of here. Maybe... if I'd said, 'I'm so afraid of losing something I love that I refuse to love anything,' maybe that would have made the impossible possible. Maybe, but I couldn't do it, I had buried too much too deeply inside me. And here I am, instead of there.”