Chris Bauer's Reviews > The Infernals

The Infernals by John Connolly

Nov 10, 2011

Read on November 10, 2011

Very entertaining book to read, with many laugh out loud moments and a surprisingly tender side...despite the basic plot of a boy and his dog plucked from Earth by a vengeful demon and brought to Hell.

I have to admit I'm a big fan of John Connolly's writing. His first book in this series, "The Gate" was an extremely memorable work. The sequel is no exception. Simple characters with layer upon layer of complexity, a fast-paced plot, often hilarious footnotes and other touches make The Infernals one of the more satisfying books I've read in the past few months.

I am amazed at the difference of his writing style when compared to his much darker works of Charlie Parker. While I understand his Samuel Johnson series is targeted at YA (I can't wait for my 12 and 10 year olds to read this), I am in awe of the stylistic differences between the two series - unable to believe it is the same author.

One reviewer describes the series as a cross between Artemis Fowl and Terry Pratchet. I 100% agree, but I was genuinely touched by some of his simply elegant descriptions of friendship, courage, sacrifice and other fundamental aspects of humanity. It was a nice reminder of sorts.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infernals.

11/10/2011 page 270
84.0% "Am I messing myself up by reading Aloha from Hell, Dammned and The Infernals in a row? Giving me funny thoughts about the nature of evil, Hell and the Devil himself."