♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯ 's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, romance, futuristic
Read from March 20 to April 27, 2012

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Seventeen year-old Cinder had always wanted to be accepted by her step-mother but now all she wants is to escape. But nothing is so simple in life of a cyborg like her. Leutomosis, blue fever, is spreading and a cure seems a dream and now Cinder's only human friend and step-sister, Peony, has the plague. Blamed yet again for something she didn't commit, Cinder is forcefully sent to the palace labs to be experimented on for a cure. Nothing goes as expected. Cinder is suddenly more unique than she ever believed and is crushing on a prince, who will only be reviled by her truth. Suddenly, the only way to save the country is her. Could she do that in time?

Cinder is ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY an AWESOME novel. Cinder is a strong, head-on and kick-ass character. Plus, she knows how to put on a fight and has a hilarious sarcastic side. Don't believe me, check this out:
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”

How about another since I love Cinder so much:
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

Cinder is an extremely great mechanic and her brain wiring keeps her connected to world at all times through internet. THAT IS SO COOL. Cinder's cyborg side was very engaging as it left me wondering it's extent. Cinder is definitely one hell-of-a-character.

Now, let's get to my new fictional crush, PRINCE KAI ❤❤❤
He was lovely and sweet and charming and captivating and endearing and charming and every other word in a thesaurus that means charming. Besides being utterly, irresistibly charming, Kai proved to be a great leader, too. Even though things weren't going his way, he made choices that put his kingdom before him. Really made me proud of the boy. Plus, he can be pretty honest, too. Let me give you an example:
“That you prefer to rule through fear rather than justice? So sorry, Your Majesty, I’m afraid I already knew that about you.”

I am feeling really giving, so here's another:
“I know this is stupid, but part of me felt like if I could come see you today, if I could convince you to go with me tonight, then maybe I could still change things. It's dunb, I know. It's not like Levana cares if I, you know, might have actual feelings for someone.”

I think he is saying that to me, isn't he? Of course, he is!

But most memorable character, in my opinion, is Iko. Even though she was an android, she was particularly lively and effervescent. Also, she totally managed to add to the fan-girl moments which Cinder refused to admit. If you aren't already expecting, an example:
“Oh, my stars! Think about Prince Kai! You could dance with Prince Kai!”
This made Cinder pause and squint into Iko’s blinding light. “Why would the prince dance with me?”
Iko’s fan hummed as she sought an answer. “Because you won’t have grease on your face this time.”

And she's choosy and totally girly as well, like:
"Plus, I’m not getting in this thing. There’s probably decades’ worth of rat droppings under those seats.”

That's a lot of personality for an android. Certainly more than a certain frigid girl *cough*Sella Bwan*cough* in love with a dead, sparkly guy.

Overall, Cinder was completely enthralling and riveting (such big words O_O). Thank you, Marissa Meyer for such an AWESOME book like Cinder. The sequel Scarlet releases in 2013. SO FREAKING LONG!!!. In the mean time, you can read a short-story prequel to Cinder called Glitches for free on this link: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/12/gl.... You can also read my review for Glitches here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

In the end (which was so not a happy ending):
“Soon, the whole world would be searching for her -Linh Cinder.
A deformed cyborg with a missing foot.
A Lunar with a stolen identity.
A mechanic with no one to run to, nowhere to go.
But they will be looking for a ghost.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Quotes ♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯ Liked

Marissa Meyer
“It looks more like a rotting pumpkin.”

Marissa Meyer
“He was the fantasy of every girl in the country. He was so far out of realm, her world, that she should have stopped thinking about him the second the door had closed. Should stop thinking about him immediately. Should never think about him again, except maybe as a client - and her prince.
And yet, the memory of his fingers against her skin refused to fade.”

Marissa Meyer
“Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?”

Marissa Meyer
“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.”

Marissa Meyer
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Marissa Meyer
“Was it all in my head? A Lunar trick?”
Her stomach twisted. “No.” She shook her head, fervently. How to explain that she hadn’t had the gift before? That she couldn’t have used it against him? “I would never lie—”
The words faded. She had lied. Everything he knew about her had been a lie.
“I’m so sorry,” she finished, the words falling lamely in the open air.
Kai peeled his eyes away, finding some place of resignation off in the glistening garden. “You’re even more painful to look at than she is.”

Marissa Meyer
“Oh, my stars! Think about Prince Kai! You could dance with Prince Kai!”

Marissa Meyer
“Soon, the whole world would be searching for her -Linh Cinder.
A deformed cyborg with a missing foot.
A Lunar with a stolen identity.
A mechanic with no one to run to, nowhere to go.
But they will be looking for a ghost.”

Marissa Meyer
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”

Marissa Meyer
“Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.”

03/21/2012 page 129
33.0% "Totally mind-blowing awesome-tastic!!!"
03/21/2012 page 283
73.0% "AWESOME!!! I'm so scared to read it because i am afraid it might end!"
show 1 hidden update…