Mariah's Reviews > The Egypt Game

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Nov 09, 11

I read this book in the third or fourth grade for the first time, and I've always remembered it as one of my childhood favourites. Some reviews have suggested that the children are too unlike actual children (in terms of emotional maturity for the most part) to offer young readers relatability, but I couldn't disagree more. Children strive to meet expectations and I think that presenting smart, mature, creative characters working together to generate a fantasy world of historical exploration can only serve to better those children who read about them. Maybe some children don't sound, think or feel the way that the children in this book do, but some definitely do, and for those children, books that reflect that can help to reassure them.

The story is slow to start and has some weird temporal inconsistencies, but let's not forget that it's imaginative and quite frankly, pretty badass. Not to mention that it inspired an eight year old me to a passion for history and museums and archaeology; a passion that it turns out no one really wants to pay you for, but is, nonetheless, totally awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egypt Game.