Jeff's Reviews > The Namesake

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

May 31, 08

Read in May, 2008

I'd read a few of Lahiri's short stories, and had seen the movie of The Namesake, but I put off reading it for a while.
It's definitely a worthwhile read. I gave it five stars, not because it's the greatest book I've ever read, but because it was the right book for me to read right now--there's something about where I am in my life that makes Gogol Ganguli's story resonate with me in a way that it probably wouldn't have when the book was first published.
Lahiri has a gift for capturing the emotion, whatever it's called, which makes you simultaneously want to distance yourselves from your parents and your upbringing while drawing ever closer to it. It's the way I'm constantly frustrated with my parents while still acting more and more like my dad every day; the way I get a little bit of a charge when I talk to old Jewish people that I barely know, yet feel like I might be related to them. It's hard to explain, but it's in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Namesake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Definitely pick up Unaccustomed Earth over the summer. Lahiri extends the same themes into each short story in the collection, yet because she has multiple stories to work within, she's able to provide an even more multi-layered peek into aging parents, our upbringing, growing older, shaping our own adult lives, love, etc.