Christopher H.'s Reviews > Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown

This review is associated with the original Middle English text of the poem that was edited by J.R.R. Tolkien and E.V. Gordon in 1925, and reedited and reissued by Norman Davis in 1967--

If you're at all interested in studying the original Middle English text of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight this is the edition for you. The Introduction, glossary, and index are superb. I used this edition over several weeks in an ongoing effort to study and learn Middle English. This is a hard book to find too, so snap it up if you come across a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Erin This was the first book I used in college to apply Middle English (I was a Medieval Studies major - very useful)! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Did you read any of it out loud?

message 2: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher H. I loved this book! It was great fun to puzzle over. I actually used it (and the excellent glosses) to slowly teach myself ME, and had a blast doing it! I did read chunks of it out loud too, as that was really the very best way to capture the meaning of the words. I am having fun slowly acquiring texts (poetry and prose) written in Anglo-Saxon and ME.