Anna's Reviews > The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: books-for-boys, fiction, listened-to-audio-book, read-in-2011, young-adult
Recommended to Anna by: Caroline
Read from November 09 to 20, 2011

This. Was. Interesting.

I should probably start off by telling you that I listened to the audiobook version of this and, from the very beginning, it rubbed me the wrong way. Why? Because the reader was the same guy who read Erik Larsson's Devil in the White City and that just felt wrong! I know these readers have to make a living and there's a limited amount of book recording options out there but there's no way I could buy this guy's voice as a 15-year-old kid.

But aside from that, I felt like this book lacked something the entire time. At most times, it was lacking cleverness. The narrator had a couple of moments where he actually was on the edge of being clever but that was a rarity. Usually he just seemed whiny. The very end of the book lacked an ending! I couldn't believe he "finished" the book the way he did. Talk about an unsatisfying almost non-ending. I also thought Kira lacked charisma. She was a character I wanted to like but nothing about her made me sympathetic or empathetic towards her.

The story itself is weak. The book is way too long. The reader of the audiobook was all wrong. I really can't recommend this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.