J.M.'s Reviews > The Black Lung Captain

The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from November 09 to 23, 2011

Frey and his renegade crew of misfits did such amazing things in RETRIBUTION FALLS, I was wondering just how Wooding was going to top it. Well, he did, and then some, I might add! THE BLACK LUNG CAPTAIN is every bit as good as the first one. Now, I'm a but bummed the third "Ketty Jay" title, THE IRON JACKAL, isn't readily available here in the States just yet (the UK release was last October), because I wanted to sashay right into it (can one sashay while reading?). Unfortunately, that just ain't happening. I'm trying to find a US release date; I understand Canada will be getting book three around Dec. 6th, so perhaps then. Otherwise, I suppose I'll order the UK edition.

BUT, I'm pumped to hear Wooding has announced a fourth "Ketty Jay" book! And he isn't convinced number four will cap the series either, saying something (on his site) to the effect of "I'll keep writing about Frey and his crew until I don't feel like writing about them anymore." I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.

This tweaks my gourd, because I haven't enjoyed a group of characters like this since, well, I can't say "a long time" since this has been a great year for me of amazing characters; from Gemmell's TROY series to Hearne's Iron Druid book, HOUNDED, (an author I'm jonesing to read more of) to Lynch's THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA, I've just had a great run of quality reads. But if you enjoy any or all of those just mentioned, and perhaps you're a fan of Whedon's FIREFLY series (but in a 'bucklepunk' genre blend) then, by gum, you can't go wrong with Wooding's "Ketty Jay" books!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! If I could give THE BLACK LUNG CAPTAIN six stars, I would. Go read this series now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Lung Captain.

11/09/2011 page 25
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Super review, J.M.. I have the first book in the series on my soon to read list and can't wait to check it out.

J.M. You will not be sorry you did!

Also, you should check out Tisarian's Treasure. I hear it's a pretty decent read. :)

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen And the author is a super nice guy too which is always a bonus. I did buy a copy and am looking forward to reading it soon.

message 4: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Thanks to Joe, I've got a few more books on my to-read pile....sigh. If you hadn't made the FIREFLY reference I might have resisted....

Your review's gives good strong reasons to read Wooding's books (and isn't that the sort of review we all want to see as readers and writers alike?).

J.M. I'm glad I've done my part to interest you two Steph(v)ens in this series! Being that we have so many rated books in common, I have confidence this will follow suit.