Heather Hamilton's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Jun 02, 14

bookshelves: series, audiobook, 2014, paranormal, young-adult
Read from March 19, 2012 to June 02, 2014 — I own a copy

Oh, me, oh, my. Where to begin? This book held so much promise for me, but fell short on delivery. I would still recommend it for those of my friends that enjoy Young Adult Fiction more than I. If anyone knows of an adult story that mimics this one, tell me about it!

PRO #1: Great mysterious pace and tone. It told you what was going on in the present tense, without ever telling you anything your main character didn't know. You felt just as confused and like, "What the...?"

CON #1: Incomplete story arc. I just finished the book and I am still like, "What the...?" Wished I hadn't started it until the entire series was done.

PRO #2: Strong female lead. Smart, confident, although still realistically naive due to her age.

CON #2: Too many stupid slip-ups for such a strong female lead. You can sense her bad-ass-ness in her personality, but when push comes to shove, she ALWAYS ends up on her ass. Literally. Too many struggles in which she never comes out on top is annoying. Can't she win just one little, teeny, tiny, battle?

PRO #3: Unique story line. (I think?) You don't learn enough by the end of the novel to understand what hides in the woods, but there were dead wolves, so it's probably not werewolves, and everything happened in the daytime, so it's not vampires, and nobody has sparkly wings, so it's not fairies. But it's monstrous. I know that.

CON #3: Flat love triangle, with one broken side. Possibly two broken sides. I don't even know how it's still a triangle. She's obviously reacting emotionally to the stress of her environment and latching onto every cute guy she meets. But she just got shoved (again) out of the triangle, so maybe she'll make her own shape.

Enjoyed it, and will finish the series. Some day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

05/24 marked as: currently-reading
05/24
1.0% "KATHERINE KELLGREN IS NARRATING THE AUDIOBOOK! Yippee!"
06/02 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela She got booted from her own triangle?? That's awesome.

Heather Hamilton By an old lady, no less. But her attachments were pretty shallow to begin with.