Manish Ahuja's Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

May 30, 08

I know this might just end up raising quite a few eyebrows, but still I somehow didn't like this book as much as it has been spoken about.

I'd not deny that the book is really well written and keeps you gripped most of the 900 pages. BUT, I think many would agree that at least 300 pages could easily be removed. I've also met people who tell me who liked this book because they could conveniently skip pages and still understand what's happening. The book surely is slow. Although some parts which did excite and interest me (forging passports, the protagonist initially getting used to Mumbai, etc) are handled really well.

My only problem with this book is that even after reading the last page, you might just end up saying, "Well it was a nice book, but I don't know why did the author write so many pages if he could've said the same in a few hundred pages less."

Nonetheless, if you still want some relaxed, fun, detailed reading and especially something about India, do pick up this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheel Mehta well if those 300 pages had actually been removed the way u suggest, i guess the book would have been just a gist of all that happened and that would have made it quite boring! i actually enjoyed the book because it was so descriptive! I lived every bit witht he author! i love the book, and i'd suggest anyone who doesnt mind a little detailing reads it!

Manish Ahuja To each its own :P