Tasmia's Reviews > A Kiss at Midnight

A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ebooks, genre-romance-2011, incompletely-read
Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I liked the atmosphere of the story and I had fun reading it, so for that alone I can’t say I didn’t like it. But I had a lot of problems with it, and ultimately found it to be underwhelming.

It was a quick, light read - but that may be because I skimmed my way through two thirds of it. I thought there were a lot of problems with the plot and I didn't really like the hero ever at all, but I liked the heroine enough to want to read through to her happy ending (even when her love/lust-addled behaviour became intensely annoying). I thought the hero's scheme of splitting the night of his betrothal ball between the ballroom and his bedroom where the heroine stayed waiting for him was incredibly distasteful, and all the more so when James did the decent thing and presented his fiancee as a lovely person. I'd much rather have the story of the fiancee Tatiana’s romance with Toloose, because it sounds like a love I could believe in and because they’re both likable. James is a skilled writer with a sharp sense of humour, and there’s evidence of all that in the book. Nonetheless, overall it feels half-thought-through and poorly executed. I understand that the fairy-tale concept is supposed to excuse the book from meeting usual standards of historical faithfulness, but even putting aside the mess of anachronisms and allowing for an atemporal feeling, to me it seems like the fairy-tale label is just an excuse to publish poor quality work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss at Midnight.