Christina G's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: ya-ya-ya
Read in November, 2011

A teenage boy is overwhelmed by the pressures of an elite NY high school, and checks himself into a psychiatric hospital after feeling suicidal.

What this book has going for it: cool cover, a funny take on peeing, and apparently a shit ton of fans.

But I was underwhelmed. I didn't emotionally click with the main character, perhaps because his depression caused him not to feel much other than anxiety, and maybe I need the character to feel pain in order to connect. Plus I never really connected with his desire to get rich and get a wife and have a nice car.

And... what the eff? Least sensitive portrayal of a trans character I've seen portrayed in literature in a while. I would have given the book two stars, but portraying a trans woman as deceitful and hypersexual and not having a gender worth respecting makes me sort of vengeful in my rating. The treatment of his (former) love interest also felt a little weird. Blah, gross.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Have you seen the movie? I liked it quite a bit.

Christina G no! for my YA materials class, i had a choice between watching the movie and reading the book. maybe i chose wrong?

message 3: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie I would watch it. I thought it was really sweet and endearing.