Caroline Anderson's Reviews > Make Lemonade

Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: english-420-ya-literature, mrs-as-young-adult-recommendations
Read on November 09, 2011

I thought this was a really ingenuitive novel about a 14 year old LeVaughn from a poverty stricken area and her interactions with a 17 year Jolly who has two small children. These girls teach each other about life and skills and information needed in life. Being unfamiliar with this lifestyle, I felt my eyes opening along with LeVaughn in her experience with Jolly. Really important and sensitive issues are discussed in this novel like sexual assault, poverty, gang violence, drugs, and an awareness of surroundings. There is no inappropriate material, but the material is mature in the above topics addressed; I would recommend this novel for any young adult that has already discussed or been exposed to these issues with trusted adults or for young adults whose trusted adults are ready to talk about these issues. The reading level is not very high, but I think a young adult needs a certain maturity level to handle this. The book has a wonderful colloquial sound and flow and has a very interesting format and story telling quality, and it certainly is a story worth the telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Lemonade.