Metaspinster's Reviews > The Hidden Goddess

The Hidden Goddess by M.K. Hobson

This was my review of the first book in this series:

Someone somewhere called this book "magicpunk," which I think is a very apt descriptor for this heavily magic-flavored steampunk novel set in an AU post-civil war America. I have to say that I appreciated the departure from typical British setting.

It's also got strong feminist thematics (which come out even more in the next book in the series), which are skillfully rendered in a non-pedantic way. I also find the functioning of "credomancy" to be a fascinating statement on the very real power of belief, propaganda, and media (this too, is developed further in the sequel).

But despite what I've just said - and the fact that the first third of the book is a bit slower than the rest - this book is not a dry, homework-type book and I'm thoroughly glad I stuck with it to the end (and beyond). For it's also clever, and witty, with fabulous non-standard characters.

Of course, while reading this second in the series, I found myself wanting to assign it to a media studies class, or a feminist studies class, so that could a) force some eager young minds to talk to me about this book, and b) um, see "a."

I LOVED THIS BOOK. And though I am pleased to see that there will be more books in this series, the ending of this one was satisfying on multiple levels. In particular (although not primarily), it is so refreshing to see a love story play out while addressing so many "real" obstacles and issues--in addition to the numerous magical or otherwise anachronistically fictional ones to be found here.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Goddess.