Jessica R's Reviews > Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

May 12, 13

bookshelves: fabulous-fantasy, amazing-series

A YEAR?!?!?!? REALLY?!?!?! They can't be SERIOUS! They must be JOKING! I really hope this book comes out early magically , or I might CRAWL in a HOLE and go into a COMA if I have to read for one more book that I say is good but could never really as good as ANYTHING by Cassandra Clare. Sigh. I guess I will be forced to wait. Wake me in December 2012!

Oh, my heart hurts! 2013?!?!? Why?!
--------------------------------
For some time I have been attempting to reconcile my feelings about this book. For one thing, I can tell you that it made me curl up for the rest of the day in a emotional heap, and that it is a very, very, VERY bad idea to see Les Miserables the day you finish it (yes, tears. LOTS of tears.)

It was... astounding. beautiful. intense. It made me worry for Tessa, who I had no love for before this, and for what will happen to her (view spoiler) Overall, this book made me cry while feeling happy, made me grin while wincing in pain for them, and made me depressed in the end that even though that was the best resolution possible it still caused so much pain. This book is for anyone with emotions.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Princess.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Cassandra Clare
“And indeed it was, the arrow still protruding from its wet, grayish skin, humping its body along with incredible speed. A flick of its tail caught the edge of a statue, sending it flying into the dry ornamental pool, where it shattered into dust.

“By the Angel, it just crushed Sophocles,” noted Will. “Has no one respect for the classics these days?”

Cassandra Clare
“Will rose slowly to his feet. He could not believe he was doing what he was doing, but it was clear that he was, clear as the silver rim around the black of Jem’s eyes. “If there is a life after this one,” he said, “let me meet you in it, James Carstairs.”

“There will be other lives.” Jem held his hand out, and for a moment, they clasped hands, as they had done during their parabatai ritual, reaching across twin rings of fire to interlace their fingers with each other. “The world is a wheel,” he said. “When we rise or fall, we do it together.”

Will tightened his grip on Jem’s hand, which felt thin as twigs in his. “Well, then,” he said, through a tight throat, “since you say there will be another life for me, let us both pray I do not make as colossal a mess of it as I have this one.”

Cassandra Clare
“Tessa put a hand against the wall as she made her way numbly down the stairs. What had she almost done? What had she nearly told Will?”

Cassandra Clare
“Tessa craned her head back to look at Will. “You know that feeling,” she said, “when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing tight around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” His blue eyes were dark with understanding — of course Will would understand — and she hurried on. “I feel now as if the same is happening, only not to characters on a page but to my own beloved friends and companions. I do not want to sit by while tragedy comes for us. I would turn it aside, only I struggle to discover how that might be done.”
“You fear for Jem,” Will said.
“Yes,” she said. “And I fear for you, too.”
“No,” Will said, hoarsely. “Don’t waste that on me, Tess.”

Cassandra Clare
“If Jem dies, I cannot be with Tessa,” said Will. “Because it will be as if I were waiting for him to die, or took some joy in his death, if it let me have her. And I will not be that person. I will not profit from his death. So he must live.” He lowered his arm, his sleeve bloody. “It is the only way any of this can ever mean anything. Otherwise it is only —”

“Pointless, needless suffering and pain? I don’t suppose it would help if I told you that was the way life is. The good suffer, the evil flourish, and all that is mortal passes away,” Magnus said.

“I want more than that,” said Will. “You made me want more than that. You showed me I was only ever cursed because I had chosen to believe myself so. You told me there was possibility, meaning. And now you would turn your back on what you created.”

Cassandra Clare
“Wo wei ni xie de,” he said, as he raised the violin to his left shoulder, tucking it under his chin. He had told her many violinists used a shoulder rest, but he did not: there was a slight mark on the side of his throat, like a permanent bruise, where the violin rested.

“You — made something for me?” Tessa asked.

“I wrote something for you,” he corrected, with a smile, and began to play.”

“Will!”
He turned at the familiar voice and saw Tessa. There was a small path cut along the side of the hill, lined with unfamiliar white flowers, and she was walking up it, toward him. Her long brown hair blew in the wind — she had taken off her straw bonnet, and held it in one hand, waving it at him and smiling as if she were glad to see him.
His own heart leaped up at the sight of her. “Tess,” he called. But she was still such a distance away — she seemed both very near and very far suddenly and at the same time. He could see every detail of her pretty, upturned face, but could not touch her, and so he stood, waiting and desiring, and his heart beat like the wings of seagulls in his chest.
At last she was there, close enough that he could see where the grass and flowers bent beneath the tread of her shoes. He reached out for her —”

Cassandra Clare
“By the Angel, Bridget’s depressing,” said Henry, setting down his newspaper directly on his plate and causing the edge to soak through with egg yolk. Charlotte opened her mouth as if to object, and closed it again. “It’s all heartbreak, death and unrequited love.”
“Well, that is what most songs are about,” said Will. “Requited love is nice, but it doesn’t make much of a ballad.”

Cassandra Clare
“You know,” Cecily said, “you really didn’t have to throw that man through the window.”

Cassandra Clare
“It has been the privilege and the honor of my life to know you.”

Cassandra Clare
“And to the devil with it if she is!" said the Consul. "One girl, who is not Nephilim, is not, cannot, be our priority."

"She is my priority!" Will shouted.”

Cassandra Clare
“You don't think I can fight." Tessa said, drawing back and matching his silvery gaze with her own. "Because I'm a girl."
"I don't think you can fight because you're wearing a wedding dress", said Jem. "For what it's worth, I don't think Will could fight in that dress either."
"Perhaps not," said Will, who had ears like a bat'a. "But I would make a radiant bride.”

Cassandra Clare
“I'm afraid to answer that. I've heard that when I speak, it makes American women wish to strike me with umbrellas.”

Cassandra Clare
“Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.”

Cassandra Clare
“You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all.”

Cassandra Clare
“And maybe you should stop pitying yourself,” he said. “Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.”

Cassandra Clare
“You hear that, James Carstairs? We are bound, you and I, over the divide of death, down through whatever generations may come. Forever.
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Princess

Kylie Marie Oh you think that's bad. It's March 2013 now. OHWAIT. IT CHANGED AGAIN! SEPTEMBER 2013!. I'll think I'll join you in the hole.

Julia Jessi, we WILL get through this! In fact, we can dig the hole in my back yard! Come over ASAP, and bring a shovel!