Nicole's Reviews > Guards! Guards!

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Nov 29, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-satire, fairytale-myth
Read from November 21 to 29, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Another Pratchett delight, after all. The beginning was a little suspect, but the story soon took off nicely.
I ended up liking all the members of the Watch--Vimes, Colon, Nobby, and especially Carrot. Carrot is like the world's biggest, most sincere, most literal Boy Scout. I liked the twists on the cop cliches--the drunk cop, the lazy cop, the crooked cop, the brand-new and by-the-book cop.
The references to certain chestnuts of storytelling--the million-to-one chance, the heroic moments--were delightful. The Librarian's involvement was priceless.
I also liked Lady Ramkin and her swamp dragons. While the gigantic draco nobilis wasn't the least bit cute--but wasn't evil, either, just doing what predators do--the swamp dragons were amazingly cute despite their drawbacks. Errol was great. Although--maybe I'm just not feeling very romantic-minded lately--I wish Errol had simply sent the other dragon packing in defeat and shame instead of coupling up with it. There was enough romance with Vimes and Lady Ramkin.
Still, plenty of chuckles and smiles to be had while reading this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards! Guards!.

Quotes Nicole Liked

Terry Pratchett
“You have the effrontery to be squeamish, it thought at him. But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless and terrible. But this much I can tell you, you ape – the great face pressed even closer, so that Wonse was staring into the pitiless depths of his eyes – we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality.”

Terry Pratchett
“There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be.
Someone had stolen a book.”

Terry Pratchett
“Someone out there was about to find that their worst nightmare was a maddened Librarian. With a badge.”

11/26/2012 page 160
41.0% "Swamp dragons! :)"
11/29/2012 page 330