Zdenulienka's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

U 50x66
Feb 06, 12

Read from February 01 to 06, 2012

I love dragons and wild imagination, and with having read the last three books of Paolini's series, I simply couldn't not read the final unraveling of the Algaesia world.
With my expectations relatively high, I attacked the book with vigor that could have been only compared to Saphira's :).
First of all, I have to say that Paolini's writing style has improved enormously throughout the series. While the first book lacked sophistication and used very simple vocabulary, this aspect has improved markedly during the course of the next three books. Even the storytelling is more than tolerable, now!
I especially enjoyed the peak of the cycle in Eragon's battle with Galbatorix. The unexpected twist, Eragon's wish to understand and power of cooperation made it extremely exciting and gripping!
On the other hand,even though Paolini dedicates a significant part of the book to the reconstruction of life after the big battle, I find his effort in closing all the issues a little bit unnerving.
The fact that he tries to give a satisfactory ending to each subplot is commendable; however, Eragon's actions are often unexplained and leave me wondering why the author tried to fit all of them into the book with the price it cost him.
I was also disappointed with the utter lack of romance in the last book. To say the truth I was expecting a lot more of it and I believe it could have enriched the book in a significant manner. I know that in today's world, authors are trying to stay more down to earth and avoid sweet-and-sticky endings; however, with being kept in suspense regarding Eragon's relationship with Arya for so long (pretty much throughout the whole series), I find Paolini's solution unsatisfactory. And the Nasuada-Murtagh relationship! left me a every bit as confused.

Overall, I really enjoyed the layout and general plot of the book. The dragon twist was an excellent, innovative and unexpected move that kept me turning pages. Moreover, the battle and strategy detailing was gripping and exciting. The romantic aspects could have been a lot more developed and maybe the book would be better off with Inheritance ending with Eragon coming victorious from the battle with Galbatorix.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.