Megan's Reviews > Graveminder

Graveminder by Melissa Marr

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in November, 2011

The book seemed to start out much stronger than it ended for me...and I was left a little put off by the pacing near the end. Everything wrapped up a little too quickly, and not very neatly. A few plot points of some of the secondary characters were kind of left hanging, and I would have honestly enjoyed reading about some of them more than the main two characters. For an apparent stand-alone volume, it could have benefited from a little more fleshing out (no pun intended) of some of the characters personalities. The whole thing just struck me as a story that started out being written with a real mind for the narrative and atmosphere as a whole, and either the deadline was looming, or pushed up, for Marr, and she just churned out the rest of the tale much too quickly. Also, I don't usually notice editing issues in most novels, but whoever was in charge of editing this book (the latter half, at least) should be fired for some of the flagrant typos and ridiculous sounding grammar.

So to sum it up, there was bad grammar to contend with. There were two main characters whose constant relationship melodrama completely overshadowed the truly interesting premise of what the Graveminder and Undertaker roles really were, and really left me pretty unconcerned about whether they ever end up together or not. There was a lack of back-story and resolution for several of the supporting characters who seemed far more interesting than either of the leads. All in all, what started out as a promising departure from her former series left me pretty dissatisfied on the whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graveminder.