Lara's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2012, young-adult, fantasy, myths-and-legends, e-books
Read from March 02 to 11, 2012 , read count: 1

Wow--soooooo much better than I was expecting. I have sort of stayed away from Maggie Stiefvater since reading Shiver, which I really didn't like much at all. But I heard from several people who also didn't enjoy Shiver that this one was totally different, so I figured I'd better give her another chance. And you know what? This very nearly earned a full five stars from me--I'd rate it a 4.5 if I could. The setting is fantastic; Thisby is so well described, and I felt like I could really see the place and the people that lived there. And the capaill uisce? Absolutely beautiful and absolutely terrifying. In addition, I found that I actually really cared about both of the main characters, Sean and Puck, and that I could believe in their relationship and the way in which it develops. They felt disctinct, but totally made sense, which is something I didn't see in Shiver, and which is one of the main reasons I disliked that book so much. Really the ONLY issues I had with The Scorpio Races were that I couldn't quite buy into Mutt Malvern's ridiculously evil behavior, and that at times the action scenes felt a little too muddled or unclear or...oddly distancing. But really, in the grand scheme of things, those problems mattered very little to me. Great characters, great story, and I sincerely hope that Stiefvater writes more books as good as this one--I certainly won't be afraid to read them now that I know what she's really capable of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.