Diana's Reviews > Risking It All: My Student, My Lover, My Story

Risking It All by Heather E. Ingram

May 30, 08

bookshelves: zzz-2008, non-fiction, favorites
Read in May, 2008

If you are a teacher, you should read this book.

If you have ever fallen for someone much younger, or thought you could, you should read this book.

If you've ever cheated on your significant other, or only thought of it, you should read this book.

"Death is just around the corner, he whispers, but not morbidly. In my dream this statement sounds like an invitation... Come with me, come experience, come live. Don't wait - it could be gone before you know it."

When I started reading this book, I didn't feel connected to Heather, the autobiographer; her life was too perfect, too safe. But her tale was compelling and I regretted the need to put the book down every time.

When she started falling for one of her high school students, I could easily see it happening to myself in the same situation. Confident, handsome, self-assured young man, flouting authority, a rebel, the bad boy, making her feel beautiful, attractive, desirable... It's a heady feeling. So easy to get lost in, caught up in the moment... And once the line is crossed, then what?

For Heather it was a slippery slope, but perhaps one that led her not only a greater understand of who she was, but also what was *really* important to her. I won't spoil it for anyone wanting to read who doesn't already know the story. Suffice it to say, it was a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Risking It All.