Lindsay Haber's Reviews > The Magic Mountain

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

F_50x66
Nov 15, 11

Thomas Mann’s "Magic Mountain" is a traditional bildungsroman novel that depicts the transformation of the protagonist, Hans Castorp. Hans is a mediocre man before he becomes engulfed in the mysticism of the “mountain” (really a sanatorium located in the mountains).

The book is very long and well descript, sometimes to a fault. Every word he writes is important; at times though, it is a lot to take in. The pacing feels a bit slow t certain parts.

Mann’s complex imagination and political vigor both play a large role in this narrative. The characterizations of the central characters are exceptionally realistic. Every role in the novel acts as a symbol for Thomas Mann’s political picture.

With Magic Mountain, Mann opened up a window of literature that the German people had never seen before. Many authors adopted his style after reading this epic tale.

Reading this has improved my ability to be descriptive and thorough. It has also showed me how one can fit politics into a story without outright saying their beliefs.

Overall, I would only recommend reading this if you have a lot of time. The story is entertaining enough to be worth it; Nonetheless, it is still a project to commit to. If one is interested in the history of the eve of World War I would also recommend it. If one is more into modern novels and fast plots I would suggest something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Mountain.