Tanya's Reviews > Reckoning

Reckoning by Lili St. Crow

1205191
Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, series, meh, paranormal-romance, zombies, vampires
Read in November, 2011

There was a lot of anticipation hanging over this book for me.
The first book Strange Angels was pretty much what hooked me on the genre, and since this was supposed to be the last book in the Strange Angels series..I wanted to love it.

I wanted to see the growth in Dru, both as a svotchka and as just Dru, working through all the crap she's been through.

And while we get plenty of action, and the inevitable showdown with Sergej, I didnt really feel the growth as a person for Dru.

And for that triangle? Graves or Christophe?

Well, Graves and Dru finally get honest with each other and lay it all on the table. And we find out just how damaged Graves is, and how he got that way (and if Sergej still has his hooks in him)
And we also find out what's the whole story with Christophe. Does have nefarious purposes? Is he being honest with Dru and can she depend on him when she needs to? Why the hell does he smell like PIE?
(*cue Juno reference*)

As a character, I've more or less been pretty damn fond of Dru. She's handled most everything that's been thrown at her with a maturity that belies her age, exhibited heart wrenching loyalty and a surprising lack of selfishness when it comes the people she cares about.

But the complete lack of resolution on any front just killed it for me.
This book absolutely does not read like the final installment in a series. After I finished it I actually had to go back and reread the last few chapters to make sure I didnt miss anything, and my response was a loud "What the hell kind of ending is that?"

Not to mention I get this highly anticipated, wretchedly perfect, heartbreakingly awesome exchange (woot) and then two chapters later, she basically negates it all by hedging her bets.

It hurt my heart..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckoning.