Jodi Papazian's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in November, 2011

A few months ago, I read (and LOVED!) Lucy Christopher's Stolen. Yesterday, while searching for something to read, I pulled this title off the shelf. It sounded like it had a similar idea to it but with a little bit of a twist so I decided to give it a go.
Cheyenne, daughter of Nike's president, is waiting in the backseat of her family's Escalade when Griffin jumps in and steals it. When Griffin realizes that Cheyenne is in the back seat, he decides the best thing to do is continue to his house where his father runs a chop shop and have him figure out what to do. Complicating the situation is that Cheyenne is currently ill with pneumonia and is blind.
Although Cheyenne is blind, the story focuses greatly on her wits and use of her other senses to fight back and try to escape. Once Griffin's father discovers who her wealthy father is, he decides to ask for ransom. Cheyenne is told that once the money is received, she will be returned home safely. However, Cheyenne smartly decides that her kidnappers cannot be trusted and she must devise a plan of escape.
Girl, Stolen has a bit of a slow start and middle. However, the last 1/3 of the book picks up some speed and becomes a little more action-packed.
Although I didn't particularly care for it, it's a good one to recommend to all YA readers and may even appeal to some boys due to some of the violent content. (Although I think that the choice in cover art will deter them from even picking it up).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.