Lindsay Cummings's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: myarcs, debutauthorchallengeread
Read from January 15 to 16, 2012

The first thing I want to point out about this book is the cover. Holy WOW. It is beautiful, perfect for the story, which is very much like a futuristic Bachelor (Which airs tonight, and I WILL be watching, by the way. Yes. I know. Laugh at me.). In light of a few recent events on Goodreads, I know some people have had a change of thought about THE SELECTION. I won't get into that, but I should say this:
If you like Dystopians, and you want something not-so-dark but still somewhat twisted, THE SELECTION is a good way to go.

First, I'll say I liked this book a lot. It was super fun! My only problems was that it starts out a little bit slow. I think that I was SO eager to get this book that when I first started reading, my expectations were way high. The plot drags a little in the beginning, and you just want to get to The Selection...but stay with me, here. Because after the first 50 pages or so, (which are necessary to the later plot but not as fast-paced as they could have been), when the actual Selecting starts...I was totally drawn in. That's when I really became a fan of this book!

I loved the tension between America and Aspen, her boyfriend, when he basically forced her to enter the contest in hopes of her having a better life. I think it is something a good man would really have to consider. That being said, he was so hurtful to her. And it made for some great scenes!

THE SELECTION has a very dystopian vibe in the sense that the first setting is desperate and tense, whereas the second half of the book, at the royal palace, is actually very prim and proper and so far from what is really happening in the rest of the world.

One of my favorite parts of this book is the fashion, and the tension that happens when you throw 35 girls into a giant palace and say "GO! Fight for that sexy man!" It's all great. It really is, and I found myself thinking some girls deserved to have their faces smashed in, and others I just really wanted to WIN! I love when a book can make you hate some people and love others.

Which brings me to America...she is a wonderful character. She's tough, she doesn't take crap from anyone, and she's not easily wooed by the Prince. I think that says a lot about a character who comes from such a desperate place as she does. As the story goes on, America learns that even though she is strong and opinionated, she doesn't know exactly what she wants. Especially when it comes to her heart. I think that speaks so true to what the average teen girl goes through. It's so confusing to know what your heart wants, especially in today's world, and so the author did a great job of making her conflicting feelings feel very close to home.
36 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

12/11/2013 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica Soileau haha! lol'd at "'GO! Fight for that sexy man!'"
I share your review :D

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Barnsley I'm reading it now and enjoying it. I know theres been a furore but I'll judge the book by the book I think. Although seriously that was NOT cool really. Great review!!