Soumi's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Mar 29, 2012

bookshelves: arc-e-galley, books-i-reviewed, young-adult, dystopian, owned-copy
Read from March 23 to 27, 2012

The figure was tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave. The mask which concealed the visage was made so nearly to resemble the countenance of a stiffened corpse that the closest scrutiny must have had difficulty in detecting the cheat. And yet all this might have been endured, if not approved, by the mad revelers around. But the mummer had gone so far as to assume the type of the Red Death. His vesture was dabbled in blood--and his broad brow, with all the features of the face, was besprinkled with the scarlet horror.
-The Masque of Red Death, Edger Allan Poe

Red Death has caused extensive destruction and ruin, population is eradicating and the country has long devastated. Red Death is deadly plague taking over the society, threatening to wipe out every single life from country. People have no choice but paying extremely high price for a mask that can protect them from this contamination. Araby is one of the privileged people who belongs to rich society and her parent has enough money to buy one mask for her. At one of her nights in the Debauchery Club, a place kept the sickness out where wealthy people of town can enjoy their evenings without mask and fear of plague, Araby met Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. But neither of them are what they appears to be, both have secrets and plans of their own. As she was more drawn to these boys, she found herself struggling with her feelings and thrust into a secret world full of danger and mayhem.

The Redness and Horror of Blood

As a big Poe fan, I wouldn’t dare to compare this book with original Masque of Red Death, but I must say it was a very brave attempt to remake the master piece. Author adapted the theme from Poe’s The Masque of Red Death, twisted it very artfully and mingled it with her own thoughts, thus creating an imaginative and gruesome story of death and desire.
Griffin’s Mask of Red Death set in post apocalyptic era where the city architecture, stream carriages, clothing style everything very much resembles to time period when the original classic took place, 19th century.
The Masque of Red Death follows many traditions of gothic fiction; a dark tale represents a falling society that controlled by mad Prince Prospero who was as brutal as the disease. He intended to secure his own luxury and safety, indifferent to the sufferings of the population. The whole country in misbalance; streets are disturbed with rebellion and inevitability of death.

Darkness, Decay and Desire

We are vulnerable with our lanterns shining brightly in darkness.
-The Masque of Red Death, Brittany Griffin

As a protagonist Araby was not that appealing character as I thought her to be, slightly disconnected and confused, I could not relate myself to her. She was less concern about the circumstance and consequences of dark situations around her. We saw her character developed towards the end but not much that could please me.
She was drawn to Will and depended on Elliot; both the boys were different from each other with own secrets to keep. Elliot was nephew of prince Prospero with mysterious personality and desperate to avenge his parent’s death, boldly resisting authority to any danger. On the other side Will was charming by his presence and caught my eyes in his first appearance. As story progressed, more secrets unfolds and I was haunted by the stabbing truth of both the boys especially the more I found out about Will, the more my jaw dropped leaving me temporarily incapable of breathing.

I enjoyed Araby as the voice of narration. The Masque of Red Death is slow moving, detailed and literary version of the original one. Araby’s story melds beautifully with Prospero’s using it as the background. The ending bears an ambiguous message to readers, made them wanting more though I really doubt there will be any sequel.
Brittany Griffin was successful in creating a wickedly dark and alluring tale with horror of death and decay harmonized with hope and love.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

04/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera Excellent review..i have read the original one and wil take your advice while this remake

Soumi Thanks a lot Sudipa

Wendy Darling I'm glad you enjoyed it, Soumi!

P.S. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Soumi (last edited Mar 28, 2012 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soumi Wendy Darling wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed it, Soumi!

P.S. [spoilers removed]"

Thanks Wendy.
(view spoiler)

Emily (Book Jems) I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!

Soumi Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!"

Emily (Book Jems) Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!"

This book slow, engrossing read..I bet you will enjoy. Have you read the original one?"

No, I have not. I have it on my kindle, but there are so many books, that it's hard to pick. I've heard only amazing things though.

Soumi Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!"

This book slow, engrossing read..I bet you will enjoy. Have you read the..."

The classic is only 5 to 6 pages, you will finish it in 10 mins. It's not necessary to read the original one before this, but it will definitely help to get the thing better

Emily (Book Jems) Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!"

This book slow, engrossing read..I b..."

Then I will definitely read it beforehand! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Soumi Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Emily (Ed and Em's Reviews) wrote: "I can't wait to read this one! It looks so, so good!"

Th..."

Welcome..looking forward to your review :)

message 11: by Rejean (new) - added it

Rejean Sours Im so glad you put books like this on so that I can see them. This is something I wouldnt have known about without this review. Thanks!

message 12: by Kenya (new) - added it

Kenya Wright This book looks really god. It was already on my TBR pile but I'm going to make it higher now!

Soumi Rejean wrote: "Im so glad you put books like this on so that I can see them. This is something I wouldnt have known about without this review. Thanks!"
Thanks a lot..I'm glad to hear that my review helped you to know more about the book :)

Soumi Kenya wrote: "This book looks really god. It was already on my TBR pile but I'm going to make it higher now!"
This one is really good..Looking forward to see what to you think

message 15: by Brooke (new) - added it