Soumi's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-reviewed, arc-e-galley, mythology
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 06, 2012

Then: Once there was a Girl named Persephone who was abducted by Lord of underworld Hades

description

Now: There is a girl named Nikki, abducted by Cole to Everneath, sounds same???? Ohh wait there is twist of third guy. I love twists a lot.
Then: Once there was a pair of lovers, Orpheus and Eurydice. When Eurydice was poisoned and died, Orpheus didn’t give up hope, he made an impossible journey to underworld to bring Eurydice back. He was almost succeeded but one small mistake of looking back took Eurydice back to underworld, this time forever.
Now: Jack and Nikki were lost in love, impossible to separate until Cole took her to Everneath. Jack never gave up on her. His love and memory helped Nikki to survive the feed in Everneath. Now she’s back on surface but only for six months. The tunnels are coming for her soon and Cole will never leave her alone. Question is will Jack be her Orpheus and save her from dragging back to Everneath? Or Cole will succeed to make her his queen?

I’m a sucker of mythology and this book is a wonderful adaption of my favorite mythologies of Hades and Persephone and Orpheus and Eurydice. Everneath did what Abandon and The Goddess Test couldn’t.
Brilliantly written the book led us to journey of love, passion, sacrifice and bravery. We are given several flashbacks throughout the whole story. Organized beautifully, the series of pasts and presents made this book more interesting.
Ashton’s imagination of Everneath is fascinating and wonderful. Everneath is a limbo between life and death, residents of Everneath are called Everlivings, and they are some sort of supernatural who feeds on human emotion and energy.

Nikki, Jack and Cole

As for the characters, I would love to give Ashton credit for creating Jack, Cole and Nikki. Each of them has their own different approaches and characteristics.
Nikki has six months left to say goodbye to her family and to her love before sucking back into Everneath. Normally no human can survive the feed, Nikki was an exception and that made her unique.
Despite of some stupid decisions she made, Nikki is marked by firm determination. I felt emotionally attached to her and I liked her. Numb, broken and gaunt, when she came back from Everneath, instead of being anguished she put the pieces together, struggled with past experience, repaired the damage between her and Jack. Nikki is also compassionate in my opinion; she chose to be a forfeit in tunnels rather than feeding on innocents.
Jack is a sweet heart, a loving and caring guy. Broken, yet courageous, Jack is an ultimate love interest. It was very hard to endure the pain of losing Nikki, but he never lost hope.In one word Jack is a crush worthy male protagonist.
On the contrary Cole is like an eclipse with different shades of personality. He is dark, seductive and charming; he is an ultimate completion of bad ass supernatural. He may be morally reprehensible but it’s hard to consider him as evil, he’s not good either. On one hand Cole is detestable, wretched; on the other he’s sympathetic and caring, I just couldn’t hate him. Cole is a destructive whirlpool, if you jump in there is no way of coming back, it will swallow you instantly.

The Triangle

Nikki’s warm affection and devotion for Jack is praise worthy. She remained unbendable to Cole’s temptation to take her back and make her an Everliving. Cole took away her all memories of surface but her feelings of Jack was beyond his reach, and her love was invincible.
Same words are applicable for Jack. He fought till last moment to keep Nikki safe but with a terrible price to pay. The invisible thread between them always kept them together even when they were apart. They are so connected and meant to be with each other. Their love for each other was admirable.
If I compare Jack with Orpheus, Cole’s character is definitely inspired by Hades.
The relationship between Cole and Nikki was not love exactly; it was more a relation of decency from both sides. Cole can’t survive without Nikki and whether she admits it or not, Nikki was also emotionally dependent on Cole. Whenever she was in pain, Cole took it away. If Jack was her guide towards light Cole was Nikki’s shadow, following her around everywhere. It was not clear whether Cole was in love with her or not, but he feels something fierce and protective for her. His heart aced whenever he saw her with Jack.

Cover lust

The cover is amazing; the way Nikki in red dress walking down from the cyclone of tunnels is just what we need to attract the readers. I can kill someone to get the red dress and I’m two hundred percent serious.

Well, this book is a page turner, surprising and the end will take you to the height of excitement that you will feel itched to read the next installment. I really really liked this book.

Please Note : I got this amazing artwork from http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&amp...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

Quotes Soumi Liked

Brodi Ashton
“Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with.”
Brodi Ashton, Everneath

Brodi Ashton
“Remembering is easy. It's forgetting that's hard.”
Brodi Ashton, Everneath

12/29/2011 page 1
12/31/2011 page 80
21.0% "One bad ass was enough for me, here is two? how I'm gonna survive them?"
01/01/2012 page 100
26.0% "description"
01/02/2012 page 100
26.0% 2 comments
01/03/2012 page 150
39.0% "Jak? Cole? Jack? Cole? ohh boy!!!!! okey Cole it is."
01/04/2012 page 245
64.0% "He sniffed and rolled onto his back, staring at the lights above the stage. “It’s not a big deal . . .” He paused and took a breath. “Sometimes, when something hurts us, our hearts break a little—in a slightly more . . . literal way than for humans. Our pain sort of spills out and onto anyone around us. We call it a cracked heart.”"
01/05/2012 page 308
80.0% "Ohhh, Jack, I'm team Jack"
show 1 hidden update…

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} Do you get these from NetGalley?:D

message 2: by Soumi (last edited Dec 30, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soumi Nop, it's an ARC :)

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} Huh! I think I found it! :D

message 4: by Soumi (last edited Dec 30, 2011 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soumi Congr8s, i requested for this book in NetGalley, they rejected me :/

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} i know me too! :/
It's really annoying when they do that!

Soumi You won't believe how many declined mails i have got. Hate it :(

Soumi I love this image of Hades and Persephone

Lilian Where did u get this?

message 9: by Soumi (last edited Jan 02, 2012 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soumi which one? the book? Ohh, i got ARC :)

message 10: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera Well, I can't imagine Hades is that Hottt :P

Soumi Hotttt? call him sexy :)
I would love to replace Persephone for this Hades :)

message 12: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera yyyyyyeeeeeeeeep in Damon style

message 13: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera Btw how is book so far?

Soumi Ummmm, good, far better than Abandon and The Goddess Test

Priyak Ghosh picture is damn romantic and sexy too....

Lilian Soumi wrote: "which one? the book? Ohh, i got ARC :)"

Whats ARC??

Soumi Advanced Readers Copy

Lilian Nice:)

Soumi Thanks, hope you will like the book after its release

Soumi Finished reading, wrote the review, done.

Jayant So, this takes place on earth? Is it too emotional? :-P

message 22: by Shayantani (new)

Shayantani Das lovely pictures!

unfortunately, I have zero idea about Persephone and Hades myth. You would have to coach me in Greek Mythology before I read this book(which will have to wait, I have atleast 13 book and text books piled up)

message 23: by Soumi (last edited Jan 07, 2012 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soumi Jayant wrote: "So, this takes place on earth? Is it too emotional? :-P"

Soumi Tanu wrote: "lovely pictures!

Well I'm expert on mythology and you are in good hand, so don't worry dear. Hades is god of death and lord of underworld, brother of Zeus. When he saw Persephone he fall in love and abduct her to underworld. Hades loved her very much but she never loved him back.

message 25: by Shayantani (new)

Shayantani Das Soumi wrote: "Tanu wrote: "lovely pictures!

And everneath as in underworld?

Soumi Not exactly, the idea was taken from underworld, it's a place between earth and hell, life and death.

Jayant Soumi wrote: "Jayant wrote: "So, this takes place on earth? Is it too emotional? :-P"
Well, how much emotional you get that completely depends on you, and yes, the story takes place on earth and Everneath :)"

Well let me rephrase the question, no weeping and crying involved eh? ;-)

Soumi Absolutely not, the romance will definitely touch you heart but i don't think it will make you cry ;)

Jayant Yeah in my case if romance touches the heart it does something else and certainly doesn't makes me cry ;-)
So, I will take your word here LOL

Soumi Well i guess your gonna give it a shot, may be you will like it :)

message 31: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera I'm going to read it anyway, FYI your review is tempting me more.

Soumi I'm flattered :)

Jayant Soumi wrote: "Well i guess your gonna give it a shot, may be you will like it :)"

Yup, will pick this one next!

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ I always enjoy your reviews. You're a good writer. I wanted to read this before but now I cant wait that I know more about it. Love the Hades pic too.

Soumi Rebecca wrote: "I always enjoy your reviews. You're a good writer. I wanted to read this before but now I cant wait that I know more about it. Love the Hades pic too."
Ohh Rebeca, you are such a sweet heart :) Thank you very much. :) I bet you are gonna love it. And Hades is most charming dark sexy god, in my opinion, so does Cole though he's not a god.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, I think I will. Cole sounds interesting.

message 37: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya I'm not much into paranormal but I've been waiting for this one. After your review, I'm more excited. :)

Soumi One thousand times better than Warner. :)

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Oh wow, that sounds good. Looking forward to it. :P

Soumi Pragya wrote: "I'm not much into paranormal but I've been waiting for this one. After your review, I'm more excited. :)"
Ohhh dear, you will love it. Countdown starts for 24th January. :)

Soumi Rebecca wrote: "Oh wow, that sounds good. Looking forward to it. :P"
All bad asses are seductive. question is why ? ;)

message 42: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya Soumi wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I'm not much into paranormal but I've been waiting for this one. After your review, I'm more excited. :)"
Ohhh dear, you will love it. Countdown starts for 24th January. :)"

I am counting the days. :)

Soumi 15 days to go...........15, 14, 13, 12........

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard A love triangle is not a "twist"

Soumi Of course not, but there wasn't any third person in the story of Hades and Persephone. This book is just an adaption with an third love interest who's actual protagonist. So in that perspective i called it a twist. :)

Lisa *cantseemtoreadenough* R when does this book come out? and it sound a lot like the book halo/hades by alexandra adornetto. haveyou read/heard of those?

Soumi Srinivas wrote: "downloading link please..........."
well i got the arc, so sadly i don't have downloading link. this book is coming out on jan 24th. i hope you will get downloading link after 24th.

Soumi Lisa wrote: "when does this book come out? and it sound a lot like the book halo/hades by alexandra adornetto. haveyou read/heard of those?"
it's coming out on jan 24th, few more days to go :)
Yes i have both Halo and Hades in my collection, haven't read them yet. But i think both of them are about three angels on earth, Eveneath is completely different i believe. :)

Priyak Ghosh seriously i guess its a great mythology i could go for and paranormal romance too.i appreciate the tenacity of Jack to get Nikki back even he could be maimed although she was impaired and she's a residue only with an emotional feelings for Jack which was impervious from Coles' dreadful action.Jack did that too not being retrospective and welcomed her after she was incarcerated from Everneath.on the other hand Coles' love was unrequited jilted but he tried best in his euphemistic way to express and she was adamant in her refusal to change her mind and that reprimanded love made him despicable which despised himself to her.all that concludes me to tell that this is gonna be a intriguing especially about those six months.

message 50: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Mind crediting the artist of the picture? I heard she does pursue those "infringements" with legal stuff, so ... here's the link:

« previous 1