Jessica Andersen's Reviews > Death and the Penguin

Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: mystery, quirky
Read from November 09 to 29, 2011

I bought this book because the local Barnes and Noble was going to adopt a penguin for the store if they sold 25 copies of the two of these books.
I love penguins, and I like mysteries, so I figured I'd give it a try.

This is a short book, only 228 pages, but I was only able to read it in short chunks. I don't know if it was just the style of the author, or the translation that made it just kind of weird.

The story revolved around Viktor, an out of work writer and his penguin, Misha. Misha was adopted from a zoo that was broke and was auctioning off some of the smaller animals. Viktor gets offered a job writing obituaries for a local paper. The twist is he's writing obituaries for notables that haven't died yet.

Most of the book is just Viktor's day to day life in the Ukraine. He's pretty satisfied with his life, or maybe apathetic about it. It is a mystery, but I'm not sure there is a satisfactory ending. Although, the ending did make me curious about the next book, Penguin Lost. I am going to read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death and the Penguin.

11/29/2011 page 132