Tatiana's Reviews > Black Heart

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, urban-fantasy, ya
Read from February 08 to 10, 2012

As seen on The Readventurer

If you haven't read White Cat and Red Glove yet and are still contemplating if you should start another series that might take a nosedive half-way through, let me assure you, Curse Workers remains fairly consistent. Just don't read book synopses and spoilers or the rest of this review and enjoy the ride.

As a trilogy conclusion, Black Heart is satisfying, albeit a little weaker in terms of plotting than its predecessors. Hence, 3.5 stars instead of 4.

Cassel's journey to find his place in a world, where his value as a transformation worker is unprecedented, continues, and it seems he just can't catch a break. Everyone (Feds, mafia, his family) wants to use him one way or another, through threats, blackmail or shiny promises. But what is the right thing for him to do? Who to join? And what to take a stand against?

I keep repeating myself talking about these books, how much like I like the cons and how entertaining it is to watch Cassel outsmart his much more powerful enemies. And although there is a certain slackness about a couple of story lines in this finale (for instance, the subplot about Cassel's classmate needing help in a blackmail scheme required a little more development) Black Heart is still sufficiently mysterious and twisty. And the conclusion to Cassel's and Lila's story is both tied up and open-ended, just the way I like my endings to be.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I stand by this series from the beginning to end. Holly Black created a unique world with unique magic and the characters I'd love to meet again.

And the last thing. I can't finish reviewing this series without mentioning Jesse Eeisenberg who narrated the audio versions of the novels.

For me, he was a major factor in getting me wildly attached to Cassel Sharpe. He added a layer of nerdy vulnerability and puppy charm to Cassel's character. What can I say? I have a bit of a thing for Jesse.
26 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

02/08/2012 page 97
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma I am jealous of you in ways I did not believe were possible. (Meaning, I would love to hear what you think :D)

message 2: by Rogier (new)

Rogier 2nd that

Alyssa As always, I am green with envy, Tatiana. A delicious forest green.

message 4: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle I can't wait to read this series! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Katy WOW! I am SUPER jealous and I can't wait to see what you have to say!

Sasha Me too! It's like we're reading together :)

Tatiana Sorry, I didn't mean to flaunt:) Good news though, I am enjoying it.

Catie Yay, I'm so glad it's good.

Tatiana I hope you feel the same way about it.

Crowinator It's next up on my list! I'm so glad you liked it -- that bodes well for me.

Catie I do too!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tatiana Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Awesome. Now I know that I don't have to lower my expectations and that there isn't a lackluster ending (what I feared might end up being the case with this trilogy).

I really need to listen to th..."

Jillian, give it a try. I think Jesse is a very good fit for this story. Make sure to let me know what you think.

Tatiana Kate wrote: "Oh, I have LOVED Jesse Eisenbergs narration of this series. I agree that he brought something special to Cassel. I'm so glad to hear that he did the 3rd book as well :)"

I didn't listen to Black Heart (it's not available yet), but Jesse is to narrate it as well.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I figured you couldn't have listened to it, unless you have serious connections. I'm just glad to hear someone else appreciates his voice for Cassel besides me.

message 16: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle He even looks like how I imagine Cassel looks like! <3

message 17: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle I'm definitely going to have to check out this series!

message 18: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy The audio version is so much fun. Jesse is a great narrator.

Crowinator Great review. I agree that this one wasn't as tight as the others -- too many underdeveloped side plots, too much going on -- but it is satisfying for sure. I only hope there is a fourth -- it could work!

message 20: by Tatiana (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana I think she plotted this series in such a way that there can be more added. I am satisfied with this series as it is too, but wouldn't mind some more:)

Crowinator (view spoiler)

Lauren I agree with your review. I thought the ending was right for the characters. I liked how everything wasn't resolved but enough that you knew Cassel was going to be alright. I was finally sold on Lila. I wasn't sure about her in the first two. The plot wasn't as riveting as white cat though.