Cecily's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

1199525
Aug 13, 14

bookshelves: sci-fi-or-futuristic, dystopian, american-canadian
Read in February, 2009

I love the fact that this book is a paean to the power of the written word: that people will live and die for it, and will wither without the transformative power of fictional worlds and the insights of others. The lure and love of literature is irrepressible. Books "stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us".

It is set in the near future, where all books are banned because they are elitist and hence cause unhappiness and division. Instead, the population is fed continuous inane soap operas to lull their minds into soporific approximation of non-unhappiness. TV really does rot their brains, or at least sap their ability to thing for themselves.

Firemen no longer put out fires, but instead burn houses where books are found. There are also loving descriptions of the beauty of fire, so pyromaniacs may particularly enjoy those passages!

PLOT
(view spoiler)

QUESTIONS
So the obvious question is, if you were going to become a book and memorise it for posterity, what would you choose - and would it be cheating to pick "Fahrenheit 451"?

The harder questions is, would you give up everything for literature?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

Quotes Cecily Liked

Ray Bradbury
“The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Philip A nice, timely review of Mr. Bradbury. Not all of his work his held up so well, but this book remains a true classic. He will be missed!

Mark Have often thought to read this.

Chris That's a tough question, but I don't think it would be cheating.

Apatt "So the obvious question is, if you were going to become a book and memorise it for posterity, what would you choose? "

I pity the guy who chooses "Fifty Shades" or "The Best of Robert J Sawyer".

What I would do is I'll memorize all your reviews on GR and when the state of dystopia is over and books are back in vogue I'll pass these off as my own ;)

Cecily Ha ha, Apatt, and very kind, but why settle for a copy or precis, rather than an original?

Apatt Cecily wrote: "Ha ha, Apatt, and very kind, but why settle for a copy or precis, rather than an original?"

I like short and sweet, like Jenna Coleman ;)

message 7: by Cecily (last edited Aug 27, 2014 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecily Did you like Capaldi as the new Doctor?
(In an entirely different way, I hasten to add!)

Apatt Cecily wrote: "Did you like Capaldi as the new Doctor?"

Oh yeah, he's great! Great eyebrows action!

My brother is also a doctor, but alas not a Time Lord. He's a pediatrician, so even when I'm ill he's pretty useless!

message 9: by Cecily (last edited Aug 27, 2014 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecily a doctor is, sadly, not the same as The Doctor. As for your brother, surely he'd be of some use if you got the sort of injury or infection that children usually get? ;)

I already liked Capaldi as an actor, and you can see shades of Malcolm Tucker in his Doctor. I think he'll be good, even though the opening episode spent rather too long on Clara coming to terms with his transformation.

Apatt Cecily wrote: "a doctor is, sadly, not the same as The Doctor. As for your brother, surely he'd be of some use if you caught the sort of thing children most often get? ;)

I already liked Capaldi as an actor, and..."

Cecily Apatt wrote: "Well, hopefully we can welcome you back to the Whovian fold. You don't even need a fez any more."

But I bought a fez in Morocco last autumn (for my son)!

Anyway, I was never really OUT of the Whovian fold, but I'm not an obsessive either. (I'll never rewatch another Pertwee one, though. I don't want to spoil my happy memories.)