Pat Loughery's Reviews > Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision

2319365
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: photography
Read from March 30 to April 05, 2012 — I own a copy

This was the most enjoyable photography book I've read in ages. I've followed David duChemin's work for several years and appreciated his approach and his heart and soul in the images he creates. This book was an extension of that heart and soul.

Photography books are often either highly technical and not particularly useful at the craft side; or they're overly simplistic and repetitive; or they're high-view fine art things that make a reader roll eyes.
Within the Frame is a deep look beyond technique and composition and into the humanity of photography - that of the photographer and of her or his subjects. It's focused a bit on travel photography, but really it's a look at passion, craft and vision.

There are plenty of practical tips that are well-communicated (I really appreciated his discussion of layering fore/mid/backgrounds), and the usual discussion of shapes and colors and contrasts. However, the author writes humbly and easily, with a voice that is comfortable and friendly. The photos are generally excellent (even if some of the author's style is just not that attractive to me); and the paper and images are of excellent quality. Those little touches mean something.

Perhaps the best way to describe this book is 'inspirational' - not that I will go shoot like duChemin, but inspiring me to shoot like myself.

I'll reread this one many times.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Within the Frame.

03/30/2012 page 11