Brianna (The Book Vixen)'s Reviews > The Last Slayer

The Last Slayer by Nadia Lee

Dec 24, 15

bookshelves: read-in-2012, own-kindle
Read from December 19, 2011 to January 13, 2012

Review copy provided by author

Why I Read this Book: I had not read a book involving incubi/succubi before so now’s a good as time as any, right? Plus I’ve been wanting to read one of Nadia Lee’s books.

What I Liked: The author did an incredible job with the world-building. It was interesting; it was unique. Every twist and turn made the story even more fascinating. Like Sex for instance – where ‘sex’ is an act in our world, it’s a power booster of sorts that’s bottled up and ingested in The Last Slayer.

One of the secondary characters I adored was Toshi (think petite dragon a la Tinkerbell), one of Ramiel’s house servants. He reminded me of Dobby from Harry Potter. Toshi was constantly awaiting punishment whenever he felt he was being disobedient.

“I have sinned, exalted one. Punish me!”

I appreciate how genuine Ashera’s character was. She didn’t say what she thought others would want to hear just to make them feel better. Like when Ramiel reveals a handicap.

Ramiel: “So. Do you find me repulsive? Disgusting?”

What do you do with a question like that? There was no right answer, honest or otherwise.

That’s what I was thinking when I read Ramiel’s question! How do you answer a question like that?

And thank goodness there wasn’t a panic-stricken cliffhanger for the ending. (Though the last line in the epilogue did raise an eyebrow.) It had move of a until next time feel.

What I Didn’t Like: I didn’t find Ramiel likable and I’m not sure why Ashera is interested in him. I’m curious to find out what becomes of their relationship. I’m also intrigued by the mystery behind Ramiel’s vow.

Ashera starts off as a plain-Jane type heroine, which was refreshing because let’s face it, a strong, fierce, tough-as-nails heroine doesn’t have to be gorgeous to be kiss ass. And what she lacked in the ‘beauty’ department, she more than made up for in her skill and talent as a demon hunter. But that changed in the middle of the story.

Memorable Moment:

Opening line:

“Here, have some Sex.”

Overall Impression: If you’re looking for an Urban Fantasy read with originative world-building, then I recommend The Last Slayer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Slayer.

12/19/2011
12/31/2011
23.0% "This part is good!!"
01/13/2012