Dee-Ann's Reviews > Casino Royale

Casino Royale by Ian Fleming

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, movie-stageplay, loathed
Read from November 09 to 30, 2011

Waivering between did not like and it was okay. The writng was okay and the storyline was interesting in parts, and I liked learning how to play Baccarat, but I hated the character of James Bond. I was expecting the movie version, instead got an uncaring, insensitive, sexist, selfish person, right til the very end. I suspect it may have been a sign of the times for when the book was written, but have read others written around the same time, which were no where near as bad. Luckily it was only a short novel. The movie was definitely better, just cant work out how someone read this and decided to make a movie out of it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casino Royale.

11/09/2011 page 20
10.0% "I miss the intro music which accompanies the movies, as well as the big action scene."
11/13/2011 page 30
16.0% "not sure if I like Bond yet"
11/15/2011 page 46
24.0% "no regard for others, still dont like JB."
11/21/2011 page 58
30.0% "ho hum"
11/23/2011 page 60
31.0% "i think the movie is better so far, and different"
11/27/2011 page 62
32.0% "lot of detail about the fine things in life"
11/29/2011 page 102
53.0% "I really dont like James Bond, he is so sexist and uncaring. I much prefer the movie."

message 1: by Stephen (last edited Nov 30, 2011 04:33PM) (new)

Stephen Gallup If I recall correctly, Ian Fleming intended to make his James Bond a bland, soulless government man. He wasn't supposed to be someone you'd admire. It was Hollywood that turned him into a sex symbol.

Dee-Ann Stephen wrote: "If I recall correctly, Ian Fleming intended to make his James Bond a bland, soulless government man. He wasn't supposed to be someone you'd admire. It was Hollywood that turned him into a sex symbol."

He definitely got that right then. I wonder why he intended that ... to be different/realism/alter-ego? Thanks for the comment ... it has given me something to think about.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I've only watched snippets of the movies, but my impression is that he was just as you describe: an uncaring, insensitive, sexist, selfish person. How anyone finds him different than that is a mystery to me.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski You guys need to read Charlie Higson's Young James Bond novels. His Bond is actually quite a nice boy - nicer than Alex Rider, actually.

Dee-Ann Thanks Sue, will check them out.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski Oh, and there are Bond girls, brave, strong, beautiful ones and you see some of it from their viewpoint. If you're interested, one of my students interviewed Charlie Higson on my blog, The Great Raven. :-)

Dee-Ann Bond girls sounds like a good way to go ... there should be more of them.

Aside, small issue, my six year old son came to me this morning and asked me if only boys can be mayors. This question was unexpected, but he must have been watching a cartoon with a mayor in it. I told him no, but on reflection I cant think of any cartoon or story with a female mayor (mayoress) in it, so it was hard to give him an example.

I had a look at your blog, could not find the interview, but was fascinated with the commentary on naming characters ... and the changes that are made by publishers. I have come across a few books where the details of a character has changed in the middle.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski Here's the direct link, though, just in case you wander back to my blog at any stage, that narrow window at the top is a search window. I must find some way to make that clear to readers:

Glad you found this of interest - and the bit about name changes. The thing is, the education publishing industry can do it without consulting the author. If you found it in a trade book, there's less excuse, because the author would have been sent page proofs to check. And whoever's fault it is, it really shouldn't go to print that way, with the author, the editor(s) and a proof reader to check it out.