Ryan Steele's Reviews > The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rock Star

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

M 50x66
Nov 08, 2011

Read in June, 2008

I’ve read many music biographies in my time, and the Heroin Diaries is definitely at the top of the list. It’s an amazing look into Nikki Sixx’s life, but more than that, it’s an amazing piece of work chronicling the life of an addict through various styles of writing. There’s actual recounting, there’s anecdotes from those who saw this drug fueled period of his life, and then there are poems and photos throughout that are from that time as well, showing just what was going on in the mind of Nikki as he battled himself and the drugs. I think what I can take away from this book for my own writing is the, as lame as it sounds, sense of honesty that is portrayed throughout the book. Nikki doesn’t hold back, to the point where, at times, the book can be outright disgusting. However, that has taught me what a biography is. It’s not just a rehashing of events. It’s an adventure. It’s an exploration of that person during certain times, in many ways, a character analysis. Yes, events are relayed, but the real purpose of the book, and any book like this, is to look for the reasoning under the events, the thoughts, lessons, and themes that can come out of whatever is being shown. More than that, the novel also showed me that I can structure my pieces, novels, whatever the case may be, in any form that seems appropriate to the telling. At parts, the novel becomes disparate, hazy, somewhat scattered and incoherent, but it fits what is being explained and explored. That’s an important lesson to learn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroin Diaries.