Don Theo's Reviews > The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe

The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe by J. Randy Taraborrelli

Nov 18, 11

I haven't read any other biographies on Miss Monroe so I don't really have a measure to place this experience against.

After reading this book I have become entranced with the effects of fame on 50's era celebrities.

I had no idea how troubled Marilyn's ubringing was before reading this book. She was basically tossed around amongst several mother like characters with a total lack of father figures in her life.

That explains a lot when it comes to the image that she created for herself.

Her constant need to be wanted manifesting itself in her behaviour of always being late or absent totally made sense after reading her childhood background.

Regarding this book, as a neophyte to Miss Monroe's biographical sketch I was very happy with the map that the author laid out. He did great research and placed about the landscape of his book a nice pilgrimage representing his own studies across the lexicon of myriad Marilyn stories.

I really appreciated his extra effort in fact checking which helped to dispel a lot of erroneous accounts laid across prior to his book.

The title almost comes across as a misnomer. You would think that "The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe" would be an account of gossipy mis or half-truths but in essence Mr. Taraborelli's book helped to dispel a lot of erroneous accounts out there.

I should give it more stars and the only reason I don't is that the book comes across a little dry.

That being said, this was a sober account of a very non-sober life and after spending several days fact checking after completion of reading it...it seems that the author spent a good ten years filtering out all of the B.S. that one would realize in reading most biographies of Miss Monroe currently extant.

Whether you are new to the tragic story of Miss Monroe or a veteran looking to vet the diorama of hyperbole currently filtering the internet and airwaves, I think you will find a sobering and realistic account of Miss Monroe's life here.

Don Theo III

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe.