Allan Whitlaw's Reviews > The Capture

The Capture by Kathryn Lasky

M 50x66
Nov 08, 2011

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I picked up this book around 7 or 8 years ago, I was 10 years old. I just read it again. Diagnosis.

First off, right from the prologue, you know this isn't some cheap "friendship overcomes everything" book. You know from the start, that this is gonna be darker than you thought. The first sentence is "I am dead." Jeez.

We are introduced to our main character, Soren, a barn owl. Soren is a very likable character. Because he's ADORABLE. Soren is the character that dreams of being a hero (like most main characters of anything ever). But not just any hero, a guardian of ga'hoole. But Soren's asshole brother Kludd is like "dreams are stupid" or something like that. Soren's sister is born, and immediately they share an everlasting bond.

However, Soren falls out of his nest, OH NOES. He asks his brother Kludd for help. But Kludd decides to be an asshole. Suddenly, this huge owl takes Soren to this canyon called St. Aegolius Academy for Orphaned Owls. Soren is all confuzzled, "WTF, I'm not an orphan." Soren meets Gylfie, and they decide that they have to escape.

After they escape, they meet up with Twilight and Digger. Once together, the four decide to find the Great Ga'Hoole tree and become guardians.

Many consider The Capture to be boring, however one must understand that this and the 2nd volume are exposition for the absolute epicness that is the 3rd volume.

Most of the book takes place in the St. Aegolius canyons. This is definitely the best part of the book. As the story progresses, we learn more and more about this mysterious orphanage. And by the time Soren and Gylfie escape, we STILL don't know everything.

The last parts are when the book starts to dwindle. The biggest problem is that we don't have all four main characters until the second to last chapter. At the end we have Soren, the dreamer; Gylfie, the smart one; Twilight, the cocky tough one; and Digger, um, uh, the fourth one.

If you were turned off by lack of action in this book, try to read up through the third volume at least. Not the best in the series, but still worth it for the mystery aspect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Capture.