Annie's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: _2011_books
Read in October, 2011

I enjoyed Blackout, and immediately ordered the sequel from the library. What bothered me reading it was how low the stakes were for the characters—everyone around them is in danger, but they, for the most part, know they'll be fine. It alo bothered me how much of the suspense toward the end depended on a character having a coy hint-dropping inner monologue (when thinking to myself, I usually finish sentences, rather than having thoughts like "Could it be? No... But wait! The possibility is too horrible to think about....").
After reading it I went back and forth a little about whether I liked how little information we get on how time travel works and on what 2060s Oxford is like. For the most part I think I liked it, as more information would be distracting from the world of the Blitz. But it did seem odd how much of the 2060 plot revolved around characters trying to reach each other by phone/in person. Oh no, he isn't there to get the call? I'll have to run all over town to find him/I can't possibly reach him in time! I know the first of her Oxford historian books were written in the 90s, but if a society's come up with in-brain information technology (WANT), you'd think they'd have gotten mobile communication technology too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.