Brooke's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: could-not-soldier-through
Read from November 12 to 15, 2011

If the point of this sequel was to provide "food for thought", someone should tell the author over-eating is bad, very very bad, as was this sequel.

About half way through this novel, I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish. This promising series took a turn for the worse. What started out as an intriguing adventure became a forced introspective on the "oh so sad" human condition by way of paragraph after paragraph of what almost read like sermon. I felt a certain obligation to myself to see it through, however the thought of then having to read another book after this one, just to know how it all ends, exhausted me. Maybe I should have quit while I was ahead. I have never stopped mid-series ever though, and even contemplating it was a telling first.

So many things made this book an almost embarassing yawnfest, but to go over every reason why would be like reliving the boredom so I'll pick just a few. Ah, the poetry. The poetry crammed in (yes, poetry) was mostly irrelevant to the story. It seemed as though, in some places, the story had actually been written around the author's desire to shove her own poetry in. It came across as a desperate attempt to gain praise for her brilliant poetry writing ability and her amazingly in-depth analyzation of existent poetry (heavy sarcasm). Lastly, the message...ah, the message. I understand this genre often carries an underlying (if not outright) commentary on society, but there was just too much of this here, especially when the Society they are trying to escape in the story is less than uncomfortable compared to other dystopian novels. I was never overwhelmingly appalled at the conditions they were living in, so reading page after page of the author making her feelings about our current society known by way of a character's inner dialogue, ad nauseum, was almost more than I could bear. It is one thing to drive the point home, it is another to nail it through the reader's forehead with a dull nail and soft slow blows.

So, when is the third and final book in the trilogy set to debut? I couldn't care less. How it all ends will never be a mystery to me because I don't even care enough to wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

11/12/2011 page 63
11/15/2011 page 197
51.0% "I'm about half way through, by sheer will alone, this novel. Full review to come!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vanessa lol @ over-eating

Teresa You had me at "over-eating".