Christa Seeley's Reviews > Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, genre-science-fiction, genre-comedy-humour, own, sent-for-review
Read from May 29 to 31, 2012

Originally reviewed at Hooked on Books

I going to break from my "I don't give ratings" norm and award this book a well deserved 5/5!

It may be that it appealed to that crazy Trekkie deep down inside me (ok maybe not that deep, I did name my dog Riker after all) but I really really really liked this book. I liked it so much I'm busting out the reallys.
The main reason I liked it is because it's down right funny. John Scalzi knows how to crack both subtle and in your face jokes and both types made me laugh out loud. Whether on the subway, on a park bench or alone in the apartment - if I had this book open in front of me I was guaranteeded to be giggling like a school girl. There are a lot of Star Trek references (what did you expect?) so if you've never seen the show, you may not find it quite as funny. I can almost guarantee you'll still laugh regardless, but it may not be as enjoyable. This really is a book written for those familiar with the exploits of Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

Beyond the humour this is a book to be admired because it's actually quite clever. The plot is fairly complicated but I never had trouble keeping track of it. There's quite a few characters, and though they sometimes blend into one another, by the end you'll know them all quite well. I really wasn't expecting Scalzi to blur the line between fiction and reality like he did in this book, but it made for a captivating and inventive read and I'm thanful he went in that direction.

I could go on about this book, but it would be more gushing than reviewing. Needless to say I love this book and it has earned a permanent place on my shelf.

Final recommendation: A must read for any Star Trek fans, but also recommended for general science fiction lovers. Enjoyable yet thoughtful, I'm sure you'll love as much as I do.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.

05/30/2012 page 201
63.0% "This book is hilarious and absolutely brilliant. Love it!"