Cina's Reviews > Spider’s Revenge

Spider’s Revenge by Jennifer Estep

Nov 08, 11

Read in November, 2011

I'm sad that I was so disappointed with this book and I'm can't quite put a finger on it exactly. Spider in this book was not written as sneaky, or wily, or even smart. Instead of being a delicate assassin, Spider is written as if she was a cocky, overconfident rookie with mistakes to match. The Spider we first met had infiltrated an asylum and plotted her mission and escape with cool and panache. Who is this person? Has she devolved into a low-rank hitter for hire?

The repetition of "I'm the Spider, I kill people", and "oh hey, I'm an assassin", and oh, btw, "I kill people" was getting a bit overdone. We're in the 5th book, now, we get it.

It's also tragic how helpless Bria is being cast. Isn't she Detective Bria, in the dangerous city of Ashland? Who instead of keeping a clear head in a safe house just forgets herself and gets busy with Finn? Why is she being relegated to "baby sister" status instead of holding her own?

I had such high hopes for this book being the culmination of a life's worth story arch. Maybe Ms Estep is spreading herself too thin?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider’s Revenge.