Julie Adams's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Dec 15, 14

bookshelves: books-i-love
Read from November 08, 2011 to December 14, 2014

I reread this after reading "Revival," because it seems I have a difficult time finding something to follow a King book.

I love Stephen King's writing. He rarely disappoints. In this ambitious, meticulously researched novel, he once again makes the paranormal seem completely ordinary and easier for your brain to accept. And, yes, the book is very, very good. Beyond that, I really loved the emotion that came through in his writing. The story of the janitor got me hooked and had me crying before I was even a few pages into the book. The tender, halting romance under impossible circumstances gave me pause to be thankful, and to consider what I might have done if plopped down into that surrounding.

Oswald was a beast. And, we all know more about Kennedy now than most Americans did then, so I don't have on any rose colored glasses causing me to daydream about how a handsome president could be confused with a good one. All the same, I'm glad that King didn't go for the easy happy ending. It would have been simple, and many of us readers would probably have accepted it. But, King doesn't do that. He always counts the cost of what you gave up right down to the penny. And then weighs it against what others lost so there's no doubt in your mind the full price that must be paid. I love him for not shirking away from that. It's called life, and whether in 1958, 1963 or 2011, life is beautiful BECAUSE it is heartbreaking, not in spite of it. Well done, Bard of Maine. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

11/09/2011 page 80
9.0% "Hook, line and sinker . . . . man, I love a good King novel!"