Todd Dow's Reviews > Confessions

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2006, read count: 3

This is one of my favourite books. Augustine is a cornerstone figure in Christianity. He transformed the Christian church from a rebellious faith in tension with Judaism and pagan beliefs into the official church of the Roman Empire.

Augustine was far from saintly in his life: he chased plenty of skirts and he had a child out of wedlock prior to his religious transformation I read this book at a critical point in my journey of faith and learning that Augustine's ability to lead the Christian church in spite of his early "life of sin" reaffirmed for me the fact that grace in faith is to be afforded to everyone, regardless of their previous actions.

As well, Augustine was the first major Christian figure to articulate the Just War theory, which argues that violence can be perpetrated by state actors under certain conditions. I personally disagree with the Just War theory - I feel that violence cannot be justified by Christian means under any conditions. Thus, when violence occurs, it happens in direct opposition to Christ's message of peace and love.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It is an excellent read for anyone interested in historical figures in the Christian church and it is quite readable by anyone - it is not dense or overly academic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions.