Cory's Reviews > A Mother's Tale

A Mother's Tale by Erik  Simon

Jun 07, 08

Read in June, 2008

A compelling read and masterful example of how voice and character can work as catalysts of story. There's a mystical quality to the setting and situations in this book that I really responded to, and could possibly have used more of (but that's very much a personal taste thing).

This book tells the stories of three people, a girl, her mother, and the stranger who they find splayed out in their yard one morning in the rain. The story unfolds in a series of point of view sections from each of the characters, and Simon does a great job of relaying the same events through different eyes. It's not as fractured as I may have just made it sound, as this is not a work of post-modern deconstruction. I simply mean that each character has a unique take on what happens, their perspectives informed by their own histories, views of themselves and their situations, and longings.

The prose is clear and the setting well realized. It reminded me of something akin to theater magic, as most of the action takes place in the same small setting, but a larger world is created by the interactions and backstories of the characters.

The ending, without giving too much away, is somehow both shocking and inevitable. It disturbed me, but didn't feel forced by the time I got to it.

A goodread, indeed, and by a Goodreads author. Excellent work, Mr. Simon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mother's Tale.