Dani (Pen to Paper)'s Reviews > Straight to Hell

Straight to Hell by Michelle Scott

Nov 16, 11

Read from November 08 to 15, 2011

See my author interview with Michelle and enter the international giveaway to win a copy of this book until December 2nd!
Pen to Paper blog

When I started reading Straight to Hell, I was instantly gripped by the narrative. The books I tend to enjoy reading the most, are those that immediately reach out to the reader and speak to them as though they're having a conversation with a friend - and Michelle has certainly achieved that here! I was instantly drawn into Lilith's hectic life, and it took very little time for me to sympathise with her character. It also took very little time for the story to get going properly. I find with a lot of books, the author spends a little too much time at the beginning of the book, introducing readers to the setting and describing the characters' appearances and backgrounds etc, and not enough time introducing the main plot, which is after all, what the reader is going to be gripped by - Straight to Hell throws the reader straight in and holds them there.

Lil's character was also absolutely fantastic. Obviously, only being 20 myself, I can't yet sympathise with all of her problems, but I found her a very easy character to like, despite all of the awful things she's forced to do by the evil antagonist, Miss Spry (who was, by the way, quite an entertaining character, despite her evil).
Lilith's character is definitely a complex one, which I think is why I found her so believable - she found excitements and thrills in some of the things her Succubus allowed her to do, but at the same time she fought with her conscience, as any normal human being would do. In the end, even though she has to do some terrible things, she has an ultimately good motive for doing so.

There were so many twists in the plot that I didn't see coming that the novel definitely kept me on my toes, and it kept moving at such a pace that there wasn't a single point in the book where I was bored in the slightest.
I'm also a bit of a sucker for some romance in the books that I read, and this certainly delivered. I'm really intrigued to see what happens in Lilith's relationship with a certain beautiful man in the second book in the series - I won't tell you who because I really don't want to spoil anything for you. Although I do like romantic elements in a novel, I also liked that the romance did not overpower the rest of the story, but rather just accompanied it well.

I would definitely recommend this novel to any fan of the fantasy or 'dark fantasy' genres.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight to Hell.

11/09/2011
11/10/2011
18.0% "This is really good so far :)"
11/11/2011
36.0% "Really don't want to put this down! Wish I didn't have work tomorrow :P"
11/14/2011
63.0% "Absolutely adore this!! Really hoping to have time to finish it tomorrow. If not Wednesday will do it :)"
show 1 hidden update…