Donna Antaramian's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

Jan 28, 2016

bookshelves: harkness-deborah, 2014, 2012, 2011, hardcover, kindle, audiobook
Read from November 14, 2011 to June 27, 2014

Demons and Witches and Vampires, Oh My

Throw in bewitched alchemical manuscript called up from the Oxford's Bodleian Library by Diana Bishop – a descendant of the Salem Witches – that wants nothing to do with being witch. Throw in a 1500 year old vampire Matthew Clairmont – a geneticist with an awesome wine cellar. Throw in other daemons and witches and vampires that will do anything to get their hands on Diana Bishop who can break the spell of this magical book. There is magic, romance and suspense as Diana and Matthew try to keep each other safe in London, France and finally America.
This debut novel by novelist Deborah Harkness had me total fascinated and could not put it down. The book (some 24 hours) was narrated by Jennifer Ikeda did an awesome job ..her voice for me was perfect for Diana.

My only regret with this book .. I have to wait until next summer for Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2)

7/8/2012 ... Just finished a re-read in time for the July 10th release of SON. It was even better the 2nd time around ... Pickup on things missed.

6/2014 .. rereading for the Book of Life release on July 15, 2014
5 likes · flag

Quotes Donna Liked

Deborah Harkness
“It begins with absence and desire.
It begins with blood and fear.
It begins with a discovery of witches.”
Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches

11/17/2011
6.0% "Really liking this book ..."
11/23/2011
50.0% "I am loving this book!"
06/16/2012 page 129
22.0% "This is the 1st time reading this book - orginally listened to it. On Chapter 11 and just as fun to go through the story the 2nd time around."
06/11/2014 marked as: currently-reading
06/27/2014 marked as: read
06/27/2014 marked as: currently-reading
06/27/2014 marked as: read
show 9 hidden updates…

Melodie I am next in line(12/5) at my library for this book. Very excited about it.

Donna Antaramian I am actually listening to it .. Pretty entertaining.

Melodie loved your review!

Donna Antaramian Thanks .. had fun writing it

Georgia No, no! The new book will be out next month...July, 2012.

Donna Antaramian I know that. I wrote the review last year before the release date ..

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Odd that your review just appeared in my box now, Donna! But it was such a good review I've put it on hold at my library ... ;o)

Donna Antaramian Liz - that is because I an rereading both books in the series - book 3 The Book of Life is due out July 15