C's Reviews > The Jewel and the Key

The Jewel and the Key by Louise Spiegler

Nov 08, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2011

Almost 4 stars. Didn't realize this was a YA book until it came in on my hold shelf from the library. Still worth the read, and I would recommend it as a refreshing read for YA. I was originally attracted to the book because it is set in my home town of Seattle and involves time travel [back to the beginnings of WWI]. The central character, Addie, is someone who should appeal to young women who are passionate about the theatre, intelligent, compassionate, and not immune to falling a bit in love with a man from the past. The story also explores the more serious theme of war—patriots vs. pacifist—through the eyes of two of Addie’s young male friends who choose to enlist, one from present day and the other in WWI. Through it all, Addie attempts to understand why she has the “key” to step through time and what “role” she is meant to play. I loved the last paragraph of the book: "And suddenly she had that taste on her tongue again, just as she had the day she'd sat on the loading dock with Reg in the sunlight. The taste of real life stretching out in front of her."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel and the Key.