Rachel Harris's Reviews > North of Need

North of Need by Laura Kaye

2098460
Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: favorite-adult-reads, made-me-laugh, favorite-love-interest-hotties
Read from November 08 to 10, 2011

North of Need had me at the cover. I don't think a woman alive would argue that the man isn't hot. But what kept me eagerly clicking the button on my kindle, so emotionally tied to the story and needing to see what happens next, was Laura Kaye's amazing characters.

Megan has to be one of the best-written protagonists I've seen in a long time. The story really only has two characters . . . she talks on the phone with a few family members and friends, and later in the story a couple other characters make brief appearances, but the heart and majority of this story centers on Megan and Owen. And in the beginning, it's just Megan.

In my opinion, to ask your readers to hang out with only one person and want to keep turning the pages--without the lovely distraction various minor characters can bring--you have to have a main character who is relatable, lovable, endearing, and have at least a touch of wit . . . which in this story could've been difficult since Megan was so heartbroken in the beginning. But in the talented hands of Laura Kaye, I didn't even realize until the story was over how few characters there were. I *wanted* to hang out with Megan. I wanted to be her friend. And when Owen appeared on the scene, I completely rooted for her to risk her heart again.

Owen was an awesome love interest. Sexy, strong, compassionate, with just a touch of innocence, he swept me off my feet right along with Megan. The mystical, paranormal elements he added to the story were fun and fresh, and oh, my goodness, was he HOT!!

I will NEVER look at ice cream the same way.

In fact, I got so wrapped up in this story that I started craving whatever they were eating, which granted was often ice cream, but then I had a mad need for chicken salad sandwiches, and of course, snowballs.

You want steamy? North of Need and Laura Kaye have your back.

You want romance? Yep, it's here.

You want a story that transports you, makes you smile, laugh, and feel all warm and fuzzy? This is a must.

And with Christmas right around the corner, there is no book more perfect to buy for yourself, or for a friend. AND then, while are you are at it, check out book two, West of Want . . . I DARE you not to drool over that cover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North of Need.

11/08/2011
50.0% "Sooo good! Although I'm now craving ice cream and even chicken salad sandwiches lol. Must find a good recipe . . .."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molli (new)

Molli Moran Eeeek I WANT this one. It sounds so good!

Rachel Harris LOL yeah it is! I can't wait for the rest of the books in the series. And the covers are yumalicious :-)

message 3: by Molli (new)

Molli Moran Tell me about it! I'll definitely have to snag a copy.