Beth Dean's Reviews > Skin Deep

Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: family, funny, romance, thought-provokers, ya-fiction
Read in November, 2011, read count: 1

This doesn't include something that made me pick up the proof copy in the first place "Fang free romance for readers who are allergic to the paranormal, from a talented new author" and as much as I'm definatley not allergic to the paranormal I am, however, sick to the back teeth of it. EVERY DAMN TEENAGE FICTION BOOK is about BLOODY VAMPIRES or BLOODY ANGELS or BLOODY WEREWOLVES no variations. I have to celebrate this book because it contains NONE OF THESE THINGS, you can tell I'm excited the caps button has never been so badly abused since well ever really.

Not only was it completely different in the teenage fiction scene at the moment but it also was deeply thought provoking and moved me. Jenna's bad scarring was just so life destructive I couldn't even imagine what she must of gone through, I probaly would've been ten times worse. Her character was an inspiration to me and something I've definatley learned from a book is to know that you should always keep your inside beautiful because your outside will change. Cheesy but then I am just a cheesy british romantic at heart.

Talking of british hearts, completely lost mine to Ryan, he wasn't perfect but even his imperfections made him likeable, Jarratt really has a gift for writing characters. He sounded gorgeous and if he was real I would've definatley loved his aversion to wearing t-shirts. Something many english boys have however many that definatley shouldnt go through with it, if you're not tanned and gorgeous we don't NEED to see your white less than gorgeous chest. That's not that judgemental I feel since I do the same with my pudge I would like the same courtesy back. Anyways Ryan was brilliant and suited to Jenna, his way of talking and mannerisms were cute and I couldn't leave the book because I just had to see their romance developing.

The boat and traveller inclusion was very well done, I support the traveller views as it is their own choice to life their lives as they wish and they should be allowed to do so without discrimination. I thought it was well portrayed in the book and made me think more about how discrimination is still a current issue even if it's different people being targeted. I also felt that bipolar disorder was covered well even if sketched over a bit, I know quite a bit about it and feel that it did leave out some of the nastiness however younger readers mayn't appreciate that.

Anyway overall I loved it and would hope that everyone reads it, especially as she's a new author

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Deep.