Jennifer's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Nov 08, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-reads, genre-science-fiction, subgenre-fairy-tales-retellings, age-young-adult, subgenre-post-apocalyptic, subject-space-travel
Read from February 01 to 02, 2012

4.5 Out of 5 Stars.

And this could easily find a place on my all-time favorite list in due time.

Love love love.

With all of the ranting and raving about this book, I must say...I had high expectations, especially when you add in my own excitement after stumbling upon this book myself months ago. The anxiety was KILLING me. And then it was time for me to pick up the book and read it.

I sit down and begin reading at 10:30 pm. By 3:30 am, I am closing the book in completion.

This book is a cute, quirky read with elements of something much bigger than a simple Cinderella retelling )and by Cinderella retelling, think more of Ever After and less of Disney's Cinderella). Yes, you have the lowly girl (or in this case, Cyborg) who is at the will of her stepmother. You have the Prince, who meets said girl and is drawn to her for reasons he doesn't understand, and he knows nothing or her real position in society. And then the truth comes out. But that's not all that this Cinderella story holds. With the cutesy and whimsical also comes the dark and destructive forces: 1. Rampant killing epidemic that has no known cure, and 2. War-hungry Moon Queen. These two elements add a very interesting flavor to this fairy-tale retelling, making Cinder its own unique story.

An interesting world is being set up with the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series. After a devastating World War IV, which destroyed much of the known world via Nuclear warfare, those left standing joined forces to rebuild the world, trying to live in harmony. This novel takes place about 100 years or so after this world. Cinder lives in New Beijing, which is the city built after Beijing was completely destroyed. But the culture associated with Beijing and Eastern Asia that we know today seems to be non-existant in this futuristic city--either it is not important to the story line, or after WWIV continental and regional cultures ceased to matter and exist. In this futuristic world, there is also a colony on the moon (refered to as the Lunars), though not much detail is given on them in this first book. We don't know where they came from or how they got there; all we know is that they are wanting to form a coillition with New Beijing so that they can make Earth their slaves. I hope that the next 3 books really expound upon the Lunars, because they are an interesting facet that I would like to know more about.

Cinder herself is an interesting character. Because of her place in society, she does not think very highly of herself, yet from the beginning readers can tell she has a strong heart and is not afraid to stand up for what she thinks is right. She is a character that compells the story forward in a way that both makes you enjoy the story and leaves you wanting more. Her relationship with Prince Kai is sweet and innocent; sometimes it makes you giggle, and sometimes it leaves you in frustration. From the whole fairy-tale thing, you know what is supposed to happen with them and you know what will happen, but as the relationship unfolds you experience the ups and downs with both Cinder and Kai.

As a fairy-tale retelling, the plotline does become really predictable, and even the elements outside of the retelling become easy to guess. But, in my opinion, that does not stop the reader from thoroughly enjoying this story. You open this book knowing the story already, so the predictability should not hinder you from liking this novel. And I think that the rest of the series will follow a different track, and I am really excited to see what is instore for the rest of the Lunar Chronicles.

Okay, if I had half shelves, this book would definitely get a 4.5! This fairy-tale retelling is done in a very unique and intriguing way. Cyborgs, Lunars, deadly epidemic, a Prince...all of these things add to a familiar story and allow Cinder to be more than just a retelling. Cinder is the beginning of the Lunar Chronicles, and I for one am excited for the rest of this series to be published. Definitely a book I would implore you to add to your TBR list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

02/02/2012 page 318
82.0% "I must say, this book kind of takes over your life. =)"