Helena's Reviews > Girls Don't Fly

F_50x66
Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: favourites
Read in November, 2011

I have just finished this book and wanted to review it because I thought it was very worthwhile.
The main character, Myra was very relatable and not just because I'm the same age as her (roughly). She just has many of the good features and is open enough with her story for me to feel comfortable reading her view on things, which is nice. She is also insecure and shy and so caught up in making people happy that she forgets about herself, and I found myself empathising with her greatly about many things.
I think the real reason I enjoyed this book so much was the scientific nature where it describes some things to do with ecology in such a way that even non-scientists would start to understand and think about the world differently because it feels like you are learning it with Myra. I do however think that its biological, ecological background may be offputting to many, and that is understandable but just be warned that that is not all the book is about.
I saw Myra's relationships change, her heart break, her mind shatter and I was rooting for her throughout it. I felt like a proud mother by the end of the book as we see Myra acheive many things she is entitled to.
This book won't be for everybody, but I think it worth a try at least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Don't Fly.